Friday, January 14, 2011

CONFESSIONS

Blog number 477******** 14 January 2011

I feel like writing, so here is I. My joy, your cross. I don't have a theme in mind, so we will both discover what theme is going to emerge as I pass through time on my way to whatever.

When I first felt this urge to write this morning, I was reading Dear Abby like I do every day. As I sat down at my computer, ready to write about Dear Abby's letters, I realized I was going to make digs at the letters "she" gets as if they were real while at the same time showing that the letters were most obviously fake.

I quickly realized, sharp as I am, that it would be kinda nutty of me to treat something I was showing to be fake as something real in order to show that they were fake.

I am sure that mental lapse was caused by my desire to write. Thus I sit here writing about not writing about Dear Abby. Circles in the sky.

Which brings to mind another quirk of writers - faux plagiarism, usually in movies. You know, one movie shows an exciting theme of a car chasing a running girl (usually) down the middle of a street and from then on in all movies, this is where a protagonist will run while being chased by any vehicle that has to stay on a road.

The scene that brought me here to be writing about this stealing from other movies due to a lack of creativity came from a movie called, "The Lodger." A very good movie, by the way. Tricky ending.

Which reminds me of an HBO special on Bette Midler where the beginning before we get to see Bette is the most entertaining and unusual beginning I have ever seen. No lie.

In The Lodger, these two detectives are going into this house where they expect to find a Jack the Ripper imitator. The house belongs to the two who are renting to the lodger. They live there. There is nothing wrong with the electricity.

The detectives go through the huge dark house looking for the murderer, guns drawn, searching with flashlights in order to see into dark corners and rooms.

"Turn on the damn lights!" I kept wanting to yell, along with "I want a new director!"

I have seen this same scenario countless times and it always bothers me. Why it doesn't bother anyone connected with the making of the movie, I have no idea. One powerful arbitrator maybe? The guy who makes THE decision?

But that was a good movie, plagiarism of an unrealistic scene notwithstanding.

You might be pleased to learn, depending upon whether or not you were entertained or put upon, that my writing urge has ended and I go in peace now into my future. May it bring untold wealth and power.

You might also think that the above paragraph doesn't quite fit here, since this entry isn't really long enough to have bothered anyone who didn't appreciate the writing. What happened was that I couldn't remember Bette's name - whether it was Beth or Bette, so I had a long digression and a long explanation of why that digression occurred which has now all been deleted.

I wrote that mentioned paragraph before I spell checked and found Bette's real name and decided to leave it. This is a confession after all.

Bye.

No comments: