Thursday, January 14, 2010

TWO OR THREE OR MORE THINGS

Blog number 362 **** 14 January 2009

I read a long time ago that the only difference between the chlorophyll molecule (the one that lets plants make food out of sunlight and water) and hemoglobin (the molecule that transports oxygen from the lungs to the cells in animals) was a single hydrogen atom. I read this. A long time ago. It was a "truth" for decades.

Today I learned that the difference is not a hydrogen atom, but that chlorophyll has a magnesium atom where hemoglobin has an iron atom. Phfttt.

I was taught all through high school that neither energy nor matter could ever disappear or be changed. Then the atom was split. Phfttt.

I was also taught all through high school that humans had 48 chromosomes. Nobody ever checked until sometime in the late forties two guys checked and found that here were only 46. Phfttt.

My niece got ulcers when she was only four or five years old. In those days, everyone thought ulcers were caused by stress. How much stress could a baby have? And there must have been other cases. Why didn't anybody question this "truth"?

Two doctors in Australia finally, just a few years ago, investigated this and found that ulcers were caused by a virus. No scientist believed them, because obviously they were mistaken. And they were not even real researchers, just common medical doctors, so again obviously they didn't know what they were talking about. One of them got the virus into his body and treated it and cured it. NOW the two were believed.

Cultural conditioning.

ION, I always put a brick on my pile of recyclable papers so that the wind doesn't take them away. They always take the papers, throw the brick into the yard. But not today. They took the brick too. I can just hear the guy thinking, "Oh, good. A brick. I been needing a brick. Guess this is my lucky day."

No comments: