Tuesday, November 4, 2008

SOMETIMES EXCITEMENT COMES TO YOU

Blog number 243 **** 04 November 2008

We went to Phoenix today - to the mall to take back the FORTH coffee grinder that has broken in the last two or three months. The way they break is they just stop working. The motor won't run.

Anyhow, I was sitting in one of two easy chairs with a table between them right by the "up" escalator, reading, waiting for my wife to get done window shopping. Another old man like me was sitting in the other chair, waiting for his wife.


I watched this petite little girl, about eighteen months old I think, walk by with her mother and older brother. The little girl was fascinated with watching the up escalator, so I couldn't catch her eye.

A short while later all three came back and the little girl went first onto the escalator, where she promptly fell, not being adept at catching a moving step. Her mother rushed forward, and reached down out of my sight where I couldn't see what was going on, but then lo and behold, she raised up, clutching an ankle and holding it up like a prize fish.

All I could see was the top half of the mother and the little girls' one leg from the knee to the foot.

The guy sitting in the other chair yelled, "Wow ! "

I laughed.

Shortly thereafter the old man's wife and daughter arrived to collect him and excitedly, he told them what we had just seen. I added my two cents worth too.

What are babies for if not for our enjoyment?

2 comments:

Paul Higginbotham said...

That was funny but in this crazy day and age we live in I'm surprised someone didn't taser her for alleged child abuse. Sad outlook on my part I admit but I have seen it myself. People suck nowadays.

Stop the Earth, I wanna get off.

Don Reynolds said...

I imagine the mother panicked. I wish I had thought to stand up and watch what happened immediately after. Seems strange that I didn't think of that. Did she carry her all the way to the top like that before she righted the child?

We'll never know.