Sunday, July 27, 2008

WHO'S OR WHOM'S IN CHARGE HERE ANYHOW?

Blog number  199                                                                                                  27 July 2008

Let me be clear here.  I don't have anything to write about.  I did this once before.  I called it an experiment, but I didn't realize until someone asked me what the experiment was, that I never explained it.  I'll do that now with this one.  The experiment is to see if I could sit down with nothing to write, and write.  So far, so good.  Yes?

Doing this reminded me of a time when I had an assignment for a drama class to produce a short scene without using words.  I always like to get my chores out of the way as soon as possible to avoid that hassle of worrying over them.  So as soon as I got home, I went into the kitchen and made myself a cup of coffee, 'cause I like to drink coffee while writing anything.

I took the cup of coffee into the living room, sat down in my reading chair, setting the coffee on the end table by my chair and reached into the pocket of my Oshkoshs for my pad and pencil.  Neither was there.  I had left them in the kitchen.  Damn! 

I got up, went into the kitchen where I found my pad and pencil lying where I had left them, made it back to the chair, sat down and started to create when I realized I had my scene.  I would just repeat the last few minutes.  Brilliant!  That wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be.  Piece of pie, actually.

There is an additional part to this story. 

When I did my scene in class, I got the "cup of coffee," took it to the chair, sat down, realized I hadn't brought my "pad and pencil," got up, went to the "kitchen," got them, came back and sat in the chair, put the "cup" down on the "table," sat back, end of scene.

During the critique, the teacher said, "You forgot about the table, didn't you?"  When she said that, I realized that I hadn't, in my imagination, allowed for a table to be there, so I hesitated when I went to put my "cup of coffee" down. The table wasn't there!  She saw that and immediately knew that I hadn't allowed for the table.  I thought that was so neat - that my mind could do something like that.  It was an imaginary table to me, but to my mind, that table was really not there.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

good story about a previous event and you managed to do what you accomplished, well done

betty

Anonymous said...

Aw thanks,Betty.  I was pretty proud of doing that, too.  I am still caught on the fact that what I did was very, very similar to the story I was telling.  Like one of those Russian dolls where a doll is inside another, inside another, etc.

Anonymous said...

Sitting down to write and writing when you have nothing to write about is a great discipline.  I do it once or twice, or sometimes thrice a day.  It's mostly in my journal, Vagabond Journeys.  Good job on discovering the missing table.  DB

Anonymous said...

HI dbdacoba.  Thanks for writing.

That does sound like a good discipine.  I know I have read of writers that treated writing like a job - 8 hours a day they would sit down and write.  I think if I was a professional writer, I might do that. It sounds like probably the best way to "get the job done."

Is "vagabond Journal" a Blog?  I'm gonna look, but I thought I would ask in case I couldn't find it.