Tuesday, July 15, 2008

WHO'S AN ANGEL?

Blog number 194                                                           15 July 2008
I few days ago I'm standing in line at Starbucks and I hear this voice behind me sounding like the tinkling of little bells.  I look behind me and I see a little girl - between three and four years old standing by her daddy, holding his hand.  I say, "Hi!  How are you?"

She disappears behind her Daddy's leg and occasionally I peek around to see if she is peeking, but she never does. That's a bit unusual in my experience with babies.  I get my coffee and pastry and I sit down in my favorite chair and I read.  When I am ready to go, I notice the little girl and her Daddy sitting at a table, so I go down and I say to her, "I gotta go now.  Bye!"

She brightens up like she just remembered it's Christmas morning, and says, "Bye!"

The next day I go in and the two are already sitting at a table and I go up to her and I say, "Bye!"

She brightens - not as much as the first time, but I take what I can get.  She says, "Bye."

From then on I catch glimpses of her and it seems to me that she is looking at me puzzled.  "He says bye, but he's still here.  What is this, some kind of a cruel joke?" 

She seems intelligent enough that I believe she has figured out what I did.  So this morning they come in and I don't approach her, but I keep an eye on her.

Her daddy fixes something at the counter where they keep the creams, prior to them leaving.  I notice she stays with her Daddy's leg between me and her.  When they walk out, she keeps her daddy still between me and her.  I follow them with my eyes, and as they reach the door, I kind of crane my neck to see around her dad, and just then she also cranes back, sees me, and when I say, "Bye," she gives me the sweetest smile!

Oh, joy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

awwww now that is sweet!

Anonymous said...

Hi robinngabster!

Yeah. Sweet!  I haven't seen her since that day.  But I keep hoping.