Wednesday, September 8, 2010

THERE ARE MANY MYSTERIES IN THE DESERT

Blog number 414 **** 08 September, 2010

I went to Lowe's this morning. For those of you who don't know, Lowe's is a chain store like Home Depot. I went to get some fiberboard for a large jigsaw puzzle I am doing, and while there I thought I would pick up some garden hose washers. One of our hose connections has been leaking for some time now. I looked for these washers in Lowe's two weeks ago. I found the garden hoses, but couldn't find the washers and I didn't want to ask, so I left without them. But today I was determined to buy some.

I got my fiberboard and asked the lumber lady where the garden hose washers would be. She directed me to the hose section. On the way there, this guy asked if I needed help. I told him I needed garden hose washers. He said, "What?" So I repeated. He seemed puzzled and asked me a few more questions, so I explained about garden hoses and garden hose washers and it was like he had never heard of such a thing. This is in the middle of a desert, right? Water is essential. One of the ways we move water from here to there is with hoses.

We walked to where the garden hoses were. Couldn't find any washers. He asked me a few more questions about what I was looking for, so I picked up a roll of garden hose, fully expecting to find a washer tied to one of the bands holding the coiled hose - like is always there, so I could show him what they looked like. No washer. I picked up another coiled hose, same thing, And another. Nothing.

"That's weird," I thought, " This is the middle of a desert. We need water hoses and water hoses need washers. I am in lowe's. This is a huge hardware store carrying many hardware items. Where are the lowly hose washers, huh?"

I even explained to the guy at one time that no washer, big leak. Can't use hose without washer. Never. Must use hose in desert. Often.

My helper calls for help, we are directed to plumbing section. I told him they shouldn't be there. The only place these washers are ever used is in garden hoses. They should be in the garden hose section, not plumbing section. And we can't find them there. He calls for help. HIS helper comes over. He points to section of washers. They are not there. I told him about they should be in the hose section anyhow. I also have to explain to him what garden hose washers are and what they do. I finally tell them I will go to Ace Hardware and get them. And I did.

I am now curious as to the result of my experience on Garden-Hose-Washers-In-Lowe's. I'll check back in a couple of weeks and let you know.

Maybe.

No comments: