Tuesday, June 16, 2009

THE STORY OF ME

Blog number 304 **** 16 June 2009

So long ago that I don't remember how old I was - three or four I think, I was playing cops and robbers with my older brother. There was an old wreck of a car rusting away out in the pasture. I was lying on the fender shooting at the robbers like I had always seen them doing in the movies, and my brother was driving the car. Somehow the door shut and my finger got caught in the door. The last thing I remember was my brother running toward the house to get my Mom. And it is this last bit of this story that makes me think that I have already presented it in this very Blog. Oh well.

The happening described above made me very careful of car doors and fingers. Whenever we drove into town on a Saturday night, I always made sure that I sat by the only door available to us kids (my mother sat next to the window on the other side.) I did this to make sure none of the other kids got their finger caught in the car door.

One night my older brother insisted on sitting by that door, so I thought that what he was doing was trying to make sure that we others didn't get our fingers caught. Wouldn't you know it, he slammed the door on his finger and started screaming. I was shocked, so sure was I that he knew about the nefariousness of unwatched car doors.
*******************
After my bypass, while still in the hospital, we were required to attend a seminar on how to better care for our stresses. One thing the lady hostess said was that if we are ever in a situation that is making us nervous, we are to immediately leave. We need not explain or anything. Just leave. Shortly thereafter I started feeling faint, so I stood up and said I had to leave. She said, "Wait just a minute, Mr. Reynolds. We are almost finished here." So I waited out to the finish - about ten minutes later, after that last inane question somebody always has at these things.

I didn't faint, but I sweated it out.
********************
Two days ago I was trying to find something on the telly and I was trying to read the description of a program on the program description channel. I couldn't read it! I tried to phonetically sound out the words, but I couldn't quite get them right, and I don't think I even understood what the words meant, but I can't be sure of that last statement because I never really paid attention to that, so engrossed was I with being amazed at not being able to pronounce simple five letter words.

For instance I remember one was something like "pilot," and try as mightily as I could, I could not get it to sound right. I tried later to get Teresa to tell me some of the mispronounced words, but she wasn't paying attention to that part of the episode, so she couldn't tell me even one. Dirty shame if you ask me.

That's two "episodes," both concerning words. One verbal, one written. Must mean something, right?

No comments: