Sunday, June 21, 2009

A MORNING OF BABY CAKES

Blog number 308 **** 21 June 2009

Back in the 70's I would ask a mother if I could hold her baby and never get refused. Then American "stranger danger" fear mongering started and after a few refusals, I stopped asking.

A few days ago Teresa, Derek, Kiki and I went to Mimi's for breakfast after Mass. A man and two women sat down in the booth next to us and they had this cute, cute, five month old baby with them. I kept peeking at the baby, smiling, and when the baby saw me, she would give this goofy smile. We were all commenting on how cute she was, and one time I noticed that the mother was holding the baby with one arm while trying to eat with the other. I humorously commented that if she wanted me to hold the baby while she ate, I would. I didn't think I spoke loud enough for any of the people to hear me, but the mother handed the baby over to Teresa and then Teresa gave her to me. She was one of those babies that just loved people. I got to hug her and kiss her on the back of the head. Pure joy. That age baby is my very favorite.

No comments: