Monday, March 23, 2009

DON'T PISS ON MY FOOT AND TELL ME IT'S RAINING

Blog number 292 **** 23 March 2009

I bought this book called, "The Best American Nonrequired Reading". It's a collection of eclectic writings - even has a few comix type stories. The story that caught me up on this book is a comix that details an adventure an American had in North Korea when he went over there to work with a French animation company.

The very first sentence in the story reads, "There's a banner on every building, a portrait on every wall, a pin on every chest." The portraits are all of the illustrious leader, one Kim Jong Il. That last name - the "Il" is capital "Eye" little "L". No other message of any kind is to ever hang on a wall where Kim's picture resides.

Kim's first foray into golfing resulted in eleven holes-in-one.

The author noticed that he never saw a handicapped person. When he commented upon this to his guide, the guide replied that all North Koreans are born strong, healthy, and intelligent. The author commented that from the way the guide said this, it seemed as if he really believed that.

I won't go on with more, but you get the idea.

The very first article in the book is a list of the "Best American Headlines" and reads like headlines taken from one of those trashy "newspaper/magazines" like the National Enquirer. And just as entertaining. Why anyone would publish such a list, I cannot imagine. I can make up my own fake headlines if I wanted to read something like that.

And next there is "Best Ringing Defeat of Religion Masquerading As Science" and I couldn't tell from reading the article which side was defeated, but from the title, I imagine it was religion masquerading as science. The article had to do with the controversy between those who follow Creationism and those who believe in Darwinism.

Next comes "Best American Answers to The Question, "What Do You Believe is True Even Though You Cannot Prove It?" This one also I consider a waste of space. I really don't care what other people believe. Other's beliefs have nothing to do with my life except when it impinges due to some real power the believer has over my life.

All of the beliefs stated agree with mine except one, where one Stephen Kosslyn, psychologist, Harvard University, author of "Wet Mind" states that "These days it seems obvious that the mind arises from the brain." It seems obvious to me that it does not. In fact it seems obvious to me that the brain (and every other physical thing) arises from Mind.

I have had complaints that my Blog entries are sometimes too long, and I agree. Therefore I am going to pause here and maybe I'll continue this critique on another entry and maybe I won't.

You be the judge.

Not of whether or not to continue, but whether or not I did continue.

I'm the boss.

Blog boss.

That's me.

No comments: