Saturday, May 10, 2008

NO WONDER I THINK I LIVE IN AN INSANE WORLD

Blog number 166                                               May 10, 2008

So I'm reading the paper this morning and I notice a brouhaha between the Mormon church and the Vatican concerning baptizing dead people.  It seems that the Mormons want their members to check over their ancestors and see if any of them died without being baptized in the Mormon church and therefore not eligible for habitating in heaven with their antecedents.  If they have, the Mormon church will, for a small fee, baptize them.

I actually don't know if they charge a small fee - or any fee, but I like the poetical way it reads.

All religions have their eccentricities so if the Mormons want to baptize dead people, fair dickum.  It's a little more odd that they don't actually baptize the dead themselves, but rather they baptize a proxy.  Now that's weird!  Couldn't they, by the same reasoning, baptize ALL the people in the world by proxy?  Even the unborn?  Maybe just one great proxy baptism that's good forever since the beginning of time?

The Vatican has ordered Roman Catholic dioceses worldwide to withhold member registries from Mormons who perform posthumous baptisms so that they don't inadvertently baptize dead Catholics.

Now, what I don't understand - besides the quarrel over baptizing dead people, is why the Vatican is making a fuss over it.  Doesn't that indicate that the Vatican thinks that the Mormon baptisms are working?  Otherwise, why would they care?  Why would anyone care?  Huh?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It must be a contest, the one with the most souls wins!  So, who judges, God?  What does the winner receive?  Is there a penalty for the loser?  I've heard the Jews have a problem with this practice.  I've been told (by a former Morman) that Mormans spend alot of their "church" time doing this.  The key is the connection to members of the church.  No connection, no baptism.  The more I learn about religion, the happier I am.  Strange to think that someday I may become a Morman.  

Anonymous said...

>> The key is the connection to members of the church.  No connection, no baptism.  The more I learn about religion, the happier I am.  Strange to think that someday I may become a Morman.  <<

After you're dead, probably?  That "no connection, no baptism" thing sounds a lot like joining a sorority, doesn't it?  Think some other member could blackball the hopeful?

Anonymous said...

I thought the membership was limited to 144,000...or is that another group? I'm so confused. ---angel

Anonymous said...

I think the 144000 is a Jehovah Witness thing.  I did catch it again in a "Garner Ted Armstrong" type bookl.  He's an evangelist type.