Monday, August 27, 2007

WHAT A FUNNY WORLD

Blog number 112                                               Aug 27, 2007

I once worked with a guy who was a produce manager for a grocery chain store.  He used to berate my religion when we had out coffee break.  I was a Catholic convert at the time, he was a Protestant minister with a religious radio program on Sunday mornings.

One day I walked by him leaning against a display of apples, watching the customers.  He stopped me and told me that those ladies were committing eight different sins by picking over the fruit.

Think about that.  "That's a sin.  So's that.  And that.  And that." 

This guy was counting sins instead of thinking of God.  I would think this minister was worshipping not God, but the Devil, since his thoughts were of "the Devil's works," not God's.

And he never suspected. 
                                                    ****************
Teresa has a way of stumbling in such a manner as to wind up with several feet in her mouth.  Today she did one that will become a classic.

This morning we were hanging at Starbucks.  I went to get her a drink and when I came back, she was talking to a husband and wife from Germany, both about sixty years old.

I handed her her drink, sat down and started working on my sudoku.  Then I heard Teresa say, "I only know a few words in German.  Ein zwie drei.......Auschwitz."

I grinned and shook my head.  The two Germans looked at each other in stunned silence and then the man said very softly, "Oh, my." 

Hah!

I am very glad that I was so fortunate as to have been there to experience that.  I wouldn't have missed it for the world.  What really put the frosting on that cake was the husband's "oh, my."

I giggle yet.

No comments: