Wednesday, August 18, 2010

ASK A BABY A QUESTION, GET A DIRECT ANSWER

Blog number 409 **** 18 August, 2010

On the road to Phoenix this morn, we passed one of those "wide load" trucks and a wide load it was. The truck was carrying a huge metal cylinder. I thought it was a rocket stage for another satellite launch on its way to Vandenburg AFB. Soon after, we came upon another wide load truck, this one carrying this huge (again) half a propeller. "What the hell could that be?" I wondered, "Was this rocket going to be launched and then fly around a bit up there?"

"Not likely, Mate." I thought.

And then I recognized that the "propeller" was actually one blade of a three-bladed electric windmill on its way to the Tehachapi electrical power acreage in California. This realization now made what I had thought to be a section of a rocket, turn out to be a section of the post which holds the blades and turbine up in the air. I knew these windmills were huge, seeing three repairmen inside of one once on the telly. But even knowing this, these cylinders and prop were so huge that I didn't get the connection right away.

When you see the whole group of wind mills in Tehachapi, they don't seem all that big. Not even big enough for anyone to get inside. Optical illusion, fer shore.

When we got to Phoenix we went right to Mimi's for breakfast. Several years ago I asked a two year old girl in a restaurant what she had eaten, and as an answer she opened her mouth and showed me see food. Here in Mimi's, I asked another two year old girl what she had eaten and subconsciously I knew she was going to open her mouth so I could see food and sure enough, she did. Hah!

No comments: