Tuesday, January 27, 2009

WHAT'S A BRAIN FOR IF NOT TO FIGURE THINGS OUT?

Blog number 270 **** 27 January 2009

Every day, without fail, there comes a time when I realize I have something to write in my Blog. If you look through the dates of my entries however, you will notice that I do not write every day, and very often I do not write for several days. Why this diversity of observations? How does it come to be that I don't write every day even though every day I have something to write? Because when I sit down to do it, I don't think my observation interesting or funny enough to write about. I give as an example the following:

I went to get my brain stroke episode of a few weeks ago checked out further. This time they did a scan of my carotid arteries to see if maybe a blockage there would cause it, but the arteries were clear. I wondered to the doctor that I thought when they said it was a blockage of an artery, that they meant a small capillary in the brain, not in the large carotids. She (the doctor) said that they already did a brain scan when I went to emergency room and that showed that the vessels in the brain were clear. She then said that she thought my high blood pressure might have caused it. I asked how that could be. She said that the vessel could have expanded and pressed against a portion of the brain. I said, "Oh."

I didn't buy that.

My take is that I think I had a blockage of a capillary in the brain and the blockage only lasted five minutes. That makes more sense to me than that pressure would cause a thought process problem. Would high blood pressure last only five minutes? No. Could a blockage last only five minutes? Yes.

I have some background for being able to second guess a doctor, but I can't think what that might be right now.

I might have spent years in medical training, you know.

I don't remember.

2 comments:

TERRY said...

YOU DID NOT TALK TO A REAL DOCTOR YOU SAW A NURSE PRACTITIONER THATS WHY SHE DOESNT KNOW.

Don Reynolds said...

Actually, Terry - if that's your real name, she was a dentist that just happened to be walking through on her lunch hour.