Monday, January 19, 2009

CURIOUSER AND CURIOUSER

Blog number 269 **** 19 January 2009

My wife Teresa and I, and my son Derek and his wife Kiki, and my granddaughter Tara and her husband Joey, all went to a nice restaurant called, "Claim Jumper". The waiters and waitresses wear silver sheriffs' badges on their shirts. Nice place.

After eating, we all head out. I came out last and we were all kind of milling around when a man of about sixty years of age, short, with a short haircut, nice clothes, came up from my right side and asked me if I liked this restaurant. Right away I pegged him for the manager or an owner or something like that making a survey. I told him I liked the restaurant and since he never said anything else, I said we came from Casa Grande, I'd been there five or six times - trying to give him an idea of how we looked at the restaurant. Since he never said anything after that, I turned away and followed my friends and relatives.

I told them what the man had asked me, because it all seemed kind of weird. All of them then said they didn't see me talking to anybody. They were, at the time of the conversation, not more than four or five feet from me.

We all kind of joked around about my "hallucination," but I got a sense of maybe they weren't joking all that much. I did have a "brain malfunction" a few weeks ago, nobody saw me talking to anybody, and the conversation was pretty off-the-wall. Why would anyone care whether or not I liked that restaurant? And if it was the manager or owner and was making a survey, where did he go to? Why didn't he introduce himself? Why didn't he ask more questions? Why pick me?

I can't prove I was talking to anybody, and I already have a pretty tenuous belief on any reality that depends upon remembered experiences.

It's all very strange, with a slight chance it was even stranger than I think it was. One of my favorite authors claimed once that magic happens around us all the time, but we never notice because we aren't paying attention. I have already seen frogs on a frozen creek, a face lifting up and away from a person, and a wasp that seemed to be in telepathic communication with me. So who's to say what?

It's a strange place in which we exist, that's fer shore.

8 comments:

Zipadee said...

Those experiences reminded me of the time I caught a Hummingbird. It felt as though I had nothing in my hand. I really had to focus on holding it tight enough so it couldn't get away, but not so tight that I hurt it. After I let it go, I wondered if I had really caught it. It was a magical moment. What was really funny was a mans reaction when I told him I had caught the Hummingbird. He cringed and asked me if it had "pecked" me! I wonder if it had, would I have even felt it? What a wuss he was!

Don Reynolds said...

Hah! Wusses abound.

I like that story about when your mom took you to that Japanese "witch", but I can never remember how it went. You suppose it would be too much trouble to send me an e-mail explaining it? I want to tell Derek about it.

Zipadee said...

I don't have your email address.

Don Reynolds said...

It's "Bodhimalik@aol.com", silly.

Paul Higginbotham said...

Don, that is indeed a strange experience. But what seemed very real to you and no one else saw doesn't necessarily mean you didn't see and speak with someone. I find it fascinating. If you had a minor stroke a few weeks ago your brain could be playing tricks on you, OR, you could have seen into another dimension. I am not joking. I believe you saw something real.

Paul

Don Reynolds said...

That makes two of us, Paul.

TERRY said...

WELL I HAVE LIVED WITH THIS MAN FOR ALMOST 53 YEARS AND ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE WITH HIM I BELIEVE HIM

Don Reynolds said...

Terry, you got to be more careful. What if my wife reads this?