Friday, January 30, 2009

FISH GOTTA SWIM, BIRDS GOTTA FLY

Blog number 273 **** 30 January 2009

A year or so ago much hoopdedoo was made about a film called, "March of the Penguins. "Groundbreaking, breathtaking" etc.

We went to see it and since I watch a lot of animal programs on the telly, I was able to discern that I had already seen much more interesting, informative and exciting films on penguins already, so as you might assume, I was not impressed with "March of the Penguins." I thought it rather mundane and predictable. Penguins do what they showed the penguins doing. I had already seen all that that film showed, on television, plus some other things the movie didn't show. I think this film had a great PR connection, that's all.

I once saw a film of a species of penguins that were so round and fat and so well protected by their fat that they jumped from cliffs onto sharp rocks, bouncing when they hit. The thick layer of fat acted as a shock absorber, preventing their bodies from receiving any serious injury.

Plop. Plop. Plop. One after the other, bouncing on large sharp boulders. None of them ever hesitated to jump. Walk to the cliff, jump. Fantastic!

This Blog entry was brought to mind because it seems that Disney has produced another great animal movie - not out yet. I forget the name. Sorry. The very best animal movie I ever saw was a Disney one called, "The Living Desert." Produced in late fifties, I think.

I'm pretty sure.

Which doesn't mean all that much.

No comments: