Friday, June 6, 2008

NONSEQUITURS ABOUND

Blog number   183                                                              06 June 2008

Well, it's the Sixth of June again and how soon we forget.  Didn't D-day used to be a big thing?  Nothing in the paper, no special programs or movies on the telly.  Nothing.  Well, I guess we don't commemorate the Battle of Gettysburg or the downfall of the Hapsburgs or Bastille Day anymore either.  I think what it is, is that history really belongs to the people that lived during it.  Yes?  Oh, yeah - and also to academics, but of course an academic lives in world denied to us mortals.

I turned on to my computer and booted up my blog to talk about my birdies, but putting the date on jogged mine memory and made me digress.

The two chicks flew off - one yesterday and one this morning.  At least he was still in the nest when I took a flashlight and looked last night and he wasn't there this morning.  I checked the perimeter of the back yard this morning before I let the bird-killer out because mourning dove chicks have a habit of waiting by the fence for a cat.  Any cat - they don't care.  I thought it was because they couldn't fly good, but now I think it is because it is "home."  I'll wait two more days before I feel I don't have to chaperone Zipper on his morning walks any more. 

I have noticed that since I haven't let Zipper run free back there, that we have a lot more birds - one species I have never seen before.  It chirps like a hummingbird, but flits like a wren and looks a lot like a sparrow except the beak is sharper and the bird is much smaller.  We also have more lizards.  I have caught Zipper with lizards before.  I think he just plays with them - rough play, of course.  I don't think they taste good enough to eat.  Maybe.  I have no proof, just a hunch.

I didn't get a baby fix yesterday and it makes a difference.  Maybe today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yep! It just doesn't follow. (smile). ---angel