Sunday, October 9, 2011

IS THIS THE BEST YOU CAN DO?

Blog number 531 ******** 09 October 2011

Just saw the strangest movie. How strange? Strange enough to get me to write a Blog entry about it.

The movie stars Stephen Dorff and is called, "Somewhere." It is directed by Sofia Coppola and is supposed to be a drama, but winds up unintentionally being a comedy. At least for me.

Funny thing is, it was interesting to watch. It's just that there was absolutely no plot of any kind. No story.

We see Stephen's character, who is a "movie star," at a party where he falls down stairs and breaks his arm. We next see him lying in bed watching twin pole dancers he has evidently hired. They're good, I'll give you that. Very good. We watch them pack up their stuff and leave after they finish. Later we see them do their thing again.

Stephen brushes teeth, takes pill, stands on porch, looks around, next scene he is sitting at an outdoor restaurant drinking beer and looking at two girls at another table. A girl pulls up by him at a stop light and he follows her way out in the country on a winding road until she pulls into a gated house. He continues on.

We watch his daughter ice skate. For a long time we watch an eleven year old girl ice skate. Wheee!

He goes to get a mold of his head. We see him getting his head covered with goop, all except for two nostrils and then for one minute and thirty seconds (I timed it) we watch the goop dry with no other people in the room, and nothing else happening. Like watching paint dry, ya know?

He goes to another party and then to a photo shoot and then to a press conference.

 "A day in the life."

We watch him and his daughter play Wii guitar and tennis for a time. Again, whee! Reminds me of my youngest son when I heard him plead with his younger sister to "come and watch me fly this kite."

I just realized that if I were to continue to describe this movie, it would wind up being somewhat like the movie, so I'll just hit a couple of highlights and leave.


Stephen's character and his character's daughter go to Milan so he can receive an award and the way they introduce him is to say that he worked with some of the biggest stars - Meryl Streep, Dustin Hoffman, Al Pachino, Sharon Stone. Here's this "star," getting an award for his work, and he's introduced as someone who has been close to real stars. Kind of a backhanded compliment, I think

Each scene in the movie is about nothing, and each scene drags on and on, but surprisingly, it was fun to watch. The pleasure off voyeurism, I guess.

No comments: