Sunday, October 30, 2011

HYPERBOLA SOMETIMES RUNS AMUCK

Blog number 535 ******** 30 October 2011


I'm rereading my Booth Tarkington books and I've run across a couple of curious things. First off, he's a much better writer than I realized even back when I first started reading him in earnest. He won a Pulitzer prize back when and then got kinda dissed that he wasn't really that good. But he is.

A writer tells stories or imparts information. Poetry, I don't understand or appreciate so we won't go there. Tarkington tells stories. Tells them in an excellent manner - lots better than those things you find in the New Yorker or any of those other authors who seem to love to use archaic words whether or not you can make a story out of them.

If you haven't already guessed by now, these are just my opinions and have no relationship at all to anything real or important. You may ignore anything you find in the first two paragraphs of this tiny tome and continue on with your happy and successful life.

One curious thing about at least this one book Tarkington published in 1909. Instead of using the word, "didn't" or "doesn't", it's "did n't" and "does n't." Makes me wonder if maybe those contractions used to be always written that way and it's a modern things the way they are written now. I guess I could Google that or something, but I don't wanna.

And in the copyright page, we find, "All rights reserved, including that of translation into foreign languages including the Scandinavian." Have the Scandinavian peoples been cheating with the copyright laws? Huh? Never have trusted them - they and their blond hair and blue eyes. 'cept the women. I trust them. A lot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There are various sites online dealing with eyeglasses for men and consists of a huge collection of pairs from various top notch brands. Situated on the Candolim Beach of Goa, the Resort has it all from well-maintained rooms, sophisticated facilities to finest dcor.
resorts in goa