Thursday, May 5, 2011

SWIM! SWIM LIKE THE WIND!

Blog number 514*******  05 May 2011

This here ain't no big deal, it's more of a one of those "What the hell?" kinda things I so love.

I'm channel surfing and I come across "Animals on the loose" - a program about animals that are on the loose. I catch the program where these two guys are taking the cover off a swimming pool because some animal is underneath. One of the guys says, "I think it's a bear."

They take the cover off and find an American bison - a "buffalo." The get a rope around the buffalo's horns, play tug of war with it for awhile and finally get the animal out of the pool.

So now what we have is a buffalo in an area with two or three men, with a rope tied around its horns. In case you don't know, buffalos have no compunction at all about trying to gore humans. Two of them once escaped from the San Francisco zoo and proceeded to chase every human they could find, several years ago. Luckily, nobody hurt.

The animal starts trying to get away from the rope, gore the two men and be on its way, but it runs around a tree and is now stuck there. The men tighten the rope until the buffalo's head is tied to the tree and the poor thing can't go anywhere. Here's where it gets interesting. For me, anyhow.

One guy says things like, "Well, I'm glad we got him out of there. I feel really good about that. I'm glad I got to film it." And shortly thereafter, the filming stops. It's all over, see? The buffalo has been saved, everybody can go home. But wait! Instead of being stuck in a swimming pool, the buffalo is now stuck with its head pressed against a tree. Is that really much better?

How are they going to get this animal back into the wild? As far as I can gather, they are done with him. What's next is all up to the animal. What he does with the rest of his life is no concern of theirs.

Or! Is this animal going to be served once again, but in a different way?

No comments: