Sunday, October 24, 2010

MOSTLY THIS, MOSTLY THAT

Blog number 434 ******* 24 October 2010

On our way to the movies we stopped and had breakfast at Mimi's. As we walked in the door, I saw the back of the head of what turned out to be a beautiful baby girl of about three years of age and the mom and dad and an older sister - maybe ten or eleven. I put my hand on the top of the three year old's head and she turned around to look at me, and what a sweet smile!

I asked her if she was going to eat mac and cheese, she said she wasn't. She asked me if I knew where she lived, I said, "No."

She said, "Casa Grande. A long way."

"I live in Casa Grande too." This seemed a pleasant surprise to her.

Then she said, "you turn this way," pointing to her left, "then this way," pointing to her left again, "and then you stop."

"Go left, left again and then stop?"

"Yes."

"Ok, I can find that." She seemed pleased with this.

The mother seemed to be finding pleasure with this interchange as much as I was - maybe more, since it was her daughter that was being so cute and "grownup."

I then turned my attention to the older sister, and then to the two boys when they showed up, so as not to show too much favoritism, although the three year old WAS my very favorite. So cute! And so verbal.

After we left Mimi's, we saw the movie,"Hereafter." I liked it. My wife, not so much.

In the hotel room of the character of the lady newsman, there was a most beautiful painting. It appeared twice and this time they were not skimpy with time on screen, like they usually are. I got to look at it very closely.

It seems to me that in past years, paintings shown in movies were almost always abstracts, or as I like to call them, "decorator paintings." In the past few years I have begun to see beautiful paintings in movies and even on TV programs. Goody for whoever is responsible for that.

The painting evoked both loneliness and companionship at the same time. It was simple yet powerful. I loved it! I wish I could do something like that.

All in all, a pretty good day. At least up to now.

P. S. There was also a little dig at cultural conditioning in the movie. Good for them!

No comments: