Tuesday, June 8, 2010

DON AND SON'S USED CAR LOT

Blog number 395 **** 08 June 2009

When we lived in downtown Sacramento in a two flat building, I used to go downstairs to my son Kavi's - Nee Daryl, flat and we brainstormed, drew and wrote our comic book. One night we got to talking about the automobile that somebody left in front of our house. It had been there a couple of weeks. Kavi suggested that we put a sign on the windshield saying, "Free Car." So we did.

The next day I was sitting on the front porch working on the comic when this young Hispanic came up the stairs and asked if that car was really free. I told him the story - that we were tired of seeing it there and as a joke we put that sign up. He asked if I cared if he took the car. "Hell no," I said. "take away."

The next day I noticed several Hispanics moving around the car. I saw them bring a battery, and soon they had the car running and off they went."Good show, " I thought.

A few days later, somebody else dumped a car there and after two or three days, we put another "Free car" sign on the windshield and the next day it was gone.

A few days later, a nice Cadillac was left. I put the sign up and the next day I saw a guy looking it over and later him and a patrol car were there. Then a tow truck. And then the Cadillac was towed off.

Damn! This works!

A few days later what I took to be a Volkswagen was left there, with a sign saying to please not have the car towed, as it was to be given to a non-profit business. I thought, well, if you are giving it away, I'll help. I put the sign up.

Next day I was at Weatherstone's Coffee Shop and Ray Rill came up to me and asked if that was really a free Porsche in front of my house. I said I thought it was a Volkswagen. He said, "No, it's a Porsche and I would sure like to have it." So I told him the story about it starting as a joke and how well it worked, so I kept doing it. He didn't say any more, so I left and stated walking down the street. I happened to look back and he was still standing in the middle of the sidewalk, staring at me. He seems stunned, like he didn't know what to make of the whole thing.

No comments: