Friday, April 16, 2010

SINK SANK SUNK

Blog number 384 **** 16 April 2009

Ain't that the way it always goes? You lose something and the only way to find it is to accuse someone of stealing it. I kinda trashed the New Yorker magazine two days ago and yesterday I get the new New Yorker (April 19th) and it is full of wonderful cartoons, stories, pictures that rival National Geographic, and its size is such that I have not seen the like for almost two years now.

There is also a neat little conundrum in an article about tug boats.

Quote; "To load it, Lathum first had to flood his barge with water until it floated just below the surface - a procedure precariously close to sinking it."

My take is, if anything is "floating just below the surface," isn't it already sunk?

And if it can obviously easily be re floated, why is it "precariously close to sinking"? You see my confusion.

No comments: