Thursday, April 15, 2010

KFC ANYONE?

Blog number 383 **** 15 April 2009

I grew up on a farm in Iowa. We raised hogs, dairy cattle, flax, corn, oats, alfalfa, and at one time, sheep. My grandma raised chickens. She sold the eggs to a grocery store in town and the money was hers. Every Sunday she would kill a couple of fryers and we ate the most delicious fried chicken. Sometimes she made chicken dumpling soup, and occasionally chicken foot gravy which had chicken feet floating in a pale gravy. The soup and the gravy were both delicious! Every meal made from chickens was outstanding. I especially loved fried chicken.

Nowadays, and for many years, I have not been eating chicken. It tastes bad to me. It makes me think of wet chicken feathers.

I just finished reading an article in the April 19, 2010 New Yorker magazine which enlightened me as to what is happening with my change of appreciation for chicken flesh. I'm going to quote a portion of that article right here. So, *******CAUTION********

The author has hired two men to help him unpack his furniture from a moving van. One of the men told the author stories about his different jobs over the years. He told him about truck fueling strategies, nurseries, and chicken farms.

"They got them on so many drugs nowadays. I had a friend who worked at a chicken plant and from the time they're born until the time they are processed it takes eighteen days. Eighteen days! It used to take months.

There was one woman who worked there injecting the chickens and occasionally she would prick herself by mistake. She got lupus and grew hair on her face. That's why I don't eat chickens any more."

Me neither, Red Ryder.

No comments: