Wednesday, July 1, 2009

YOU NEVER KNOW, REALLY

Blog number 311 **** 01 July 2009

I can't help but think that there is an untold story to Bernard Madoff's Ponzi scheme shenanigans. He always looks so like a kind old man - in newspaper pictures and on the telly, and it has been my experience that people's innards show in their faces. Nixon looked like a slimy person, George W. looks slow of mind, Barney Franks looks like a "to hell with you if you don't like it" person, Hitler looked nuts, Goering looked self-satisfied.

Madoff never, to my knowledge, ever showed that hubris that is so common to those who rule by deceit. He was the only Ponzi schemer that, instead of being caught, confessed before anyone knew what was going on.

I wonder if his relationship with his wife had anything to do with it - that it started by him acceding to a wish or two of hers and just grew. I have trouble believing that he started out thinking, "I'm going to cheat a lot of my friends out of a lot of money." Not with that face, he didn't.

No comments: