Sunday, December 30, 2007

MOM IS SO FUNNY

Blog number 138                                               Dec. 30, 2007

Teresa does a lot of funny things.  Usually when one happens, I want to tell Derek about it right away, but I have to wait until either he or we meet, and by that time I have forgotten it or the impact has worn off.

A few days ago we were coming back from Phoenix with the idea of going to Target here in Casa Grande.  With that in mind, instead of turning to the right to go home off the freeway, we kept going straight to Target.  Teresa said that it is shorter to get off where we usually do and then go to Target from there.  "Wha...!" I exploded.

I told her it was a straight line from where we were to Target, so how could it be shorter to make a dog leg and back?  A straight line is the shortest distance between two points.  I told her that.  She argued, saying that she had measured the miles one time, and it was shorter her way.

I couldn't wrap my head around what she was sayng, so I kept digging at her, trying to understand what she was thinking.  It finally came out that instead of thinking "from here to there," she was thinking of the mileage she had checked off on a previous trip with Tara.  Since she was convinced that she had measured the milage right, it didn't matter what the spatial evidence said.  That satisfied me. 

I didn't care that she was wrong, but I was really bothered by how she had come to her conclusion.  Once I understood that, I was OK. 

Whew!

Then this morning we went to Mimi's here in Casa Grande and when we left the restaurant to get into our car, she said about the driver who had parked his car in the handicap space next to ours, "I know that guy's not handicapped.  He was listening to rap when we drove in."  Hah! 

She's so funny!

No comments: