Thursday, December 20, 2007

LET'S PLAY EMPIRE

Blog number 136                                               Dec. 20, 2007

This blog entry is an experiment.  My main critic doesn't like me to use quotes from books.  So what I am going to do is to paraphrase and see if that's better, 'cause these things are either pretty amazing or very funny.  At least to me.

I want my critic to tell me whether the experiment worked so I can use it again, or it didn't work and to give it up altogether and stick to first person writings.

At the beginning of the Korean War, the US was vastly inferior to the North Koreans in armament, command, and manpower.  That's the setup for what follows.

An American recon platoon spotted eight tanks coming toward them and then another twenty-five.  The intelligence said that the North Koreans wouldn't have tanks because of the terrain.

The Americans started firing mortars.  The tanks kept coming.  When the tanks were seven hundred yards away, they fired bazookas.  The tanks kept coming.  So Sgt. Chambers called back for 60 mm mortar fire.  The answer came back that the mortars wouldn't reach that far.  "Well, how about some 81 mm?"  "They didn't come over with us."  Then the Sgt. asked for 4.2 mortars.  "They won't fire," came back the answer.  "How about the artillery?" No communication with artillery.  "What about the Air Force?"  "They don't know where you're at."  "Well," Chambers finally said, "What about a camera so's we could at least take a picture of this?"



No comments: