Thursday, December 20, 2007

DRIVING NEEDN'T BE A CHORE

Blog number 137                                               Dec. 20, 2007

In Arizona, the manual one studies in order to gather upon one's self a driving license says that at a light, one stops in the middle of the street awaiting a left turn until the coast is clear.  The car behind is not to wait behind that car, but is instead, to wait at the crosswalk until the first car has completed its turn.  That's what it says.  Not too many drivers follow these rules which tells me that they either didn't read the manual, missed that part, or thought it didn't apply to them.

Yesterday mine wife and I were driving south on Pinal, planning to turn left onto Cottonwood at the light.  I stopped in the middle of the road as directed.  The cars coming toward me were spaced out in such a manner that I deemed it more prudent to wait for a clearer road.  At that time I noticed a white truck right behind me, contrary to the directions in the driver's manual.

I finally could turn with complete safety and I noticed the white truck to my right and rear.  We went along for a block or two until suddenly the white truck pulled up alongside me, and then in front of me and then slowed way down.  "What the F...?" I thought.  He then almost immediately steered onto the right lane from whence he had just came and slowed down further.  Again, I thought, "What the F...?"  I slowed down so's I could see if the guy was drunk, texting or maybe just stoned.  As we got alongside, the guy gave us the finger, glaring at us like we were the ones that had just ruined his life.

Several thoughts went through my mind.  First, what made him so angry?  I think it was because I didn't make a left turn in front of cars fast enough for him.  And then I wondered why he didn't give me a blast on his horn back then, or even now, like most Casa Grandians would do.  Maybe his horn didn't work, which would naturally piss him off even more.  And lastly, that guy had to have been pretty angry to do all that he did.  I think he was just one of those guys that's mad at the world, so he was mad at me even before he got out of bed that morning.

May God bless his little heart.



No comments: