Sunday, December 10, 2006

THE PEN IS NO MATCH FOR A SWORD

Blog number sixty-four                                          10 Dec 2006

I haven't been writing in my blog.
 
Back when I was painting, I used to have five or six paintings in various stages of completion at any one time.  I used to spend all my spare time, weekends, late into the night, painting.  I spent all my spare energy on painting, totally engrossed in it.
 
One day I found some photos of some beautiful murals this guy was doing and he said that he made clay statues, shone a light on them from one side and used this as models for his paintings, creating beautiful patterns of shadows.  I decided to try that.  I got some clay, made my models, but instead of painting, I got so interested in the making of clay figures that I turned my energy into that. From there I went into wood and stone carving, leaving painting in the past.
 
One day Derek, my youngest son, asked me to paint him a painting for his new house.  When I tried to do it, I found I couldn't.  It was like losing a talent, but as I looked at it, what had happened was that I lost my passion for painting.
 
In the same manner, I have lost my passion for writing at the moment, but I am sure it will return, 'cause I like to talk about things.
 
This entry originally began as an e-mail to my nephew Mark as a response to his comment about my not writing in my blog.  Two birds with one stone, like.

No comments: