Sunday, December 31, 2006

BABIES ARE THE NEATEST CREATURES

Blog number sixty-six                                    31 Dec. 2006

So this morning Teresa needs to refill a prescription so we hie ourselves down to Safeway.  Standing in line at the prescription counter, I hear a boy of about four years of age, sitting in a "car-cart," saying to his dad, "I don't like..."  I couldn't hear the last of it so I went to the father and asked him what the boy didn't like.  He said, "the sour ones."

I say, "ah," and go back to where Teresa waits.

Teresa drops off her prescriptions and we pass by the little boy.  I say, "You don't like the sour ones, eh?"

"No, I like those," as he points to a candy rack.  I point to the ones I like and tell him so.  He points to another and says, "I like those."

I point to licorice and say, "I like those."

We talk about the candy rack for a while longer, then I go to rejoin Teresa who is down the aisle, shopping.  We wander awhile and wind up near the little boy who calls me and motions me to come over, so I do.

"Are you a trainter?"  I hear him say.  I ask him, "what?"  He repeats what he said.  I still don't understand, so I ask him, "What's a trainter?" and as soon as I say it, I ask him, "You mean a 'stranger?' " He nods yes.

I tell him, "yes, I'm a stranger."   He averts his eyes and from then on he will not talk to me.

I am sitting at a table drinking coffee when his family and he walk by on their way out.  I say, "bye!"  He waves, but he still will not talk.
                                  *****************************

We were at the mall last week and we saw the cutest girl sitting on her daddy's shoulders.  Teresa said, "oh, can we have her?"  As they walked off, we heard the little girl say, "Daddy, why do they want me?"
                                 ********************************


No comments: