Thursday, May 25, 2006

Teresa and I fought a lot. One day while driving home from work, in my head I was going, "I'll say this and then she'll say that and then I'll reply this and she'll come back with..." By the time I got home, I was so angry with her... This must have been happening a lot, but that was the first time I saw that I had actually had an argument with me being the only person involved. This was the guy that didn't think anything was wrong with him -- that only wanted analysis in order to "learn."

I used to often cross the street if I saw someone that I knew coming toward me. I didn't want that person to reject me, so I wouldn't know whether or not to greet them. So to avoid the problem, I would avoid the guy -- pretend I didn't see them.

When I was fifteen years old, I was by myself one night at a carnivalwhen I felt this warm hand in mine. It was a girl who was with her friend. I bought myself a ticket to watch a wrestling match -- she must have bought one too, although I don't remember this part. I do remember holding her hand all through the match and back outside and at some point the hand was gone. I never knew what that girl -- nor her friend, looked like. To this day I don't know.

Twice I was sitting in a booth at a drugstore when a girl asked if she could sit with me. I said, "Yes" without looking up. I never looked at people's eyes -- or even at their feet, as I remember. Both times, I never knew who the girl was. Once the girl that asked was with her mother, the other time she was alone.

Years later, married, I was standing in line at the bank and I looked down at a small boy and got a look I had never seen before. I turned away before it registered. "What the hell was that?" I wondered.

For years after that I would think of that incident and wonder what it was that I had seen. I could not imagine what it might be. Eventually I found out that it was a friendly look. I looked at someone who looked at me in a friendly manner and I didn't know what it was because I had never seen it before! Man, was I a mess. And I didn't even know it -- had not an inkling.

I used to go to parties with Terry when she was in college and I would sit in a corner pretending to be engrossed in a book or a magazine that I picked up. I thought that that way nobody would know that I was shy. Hah! Silly boy. I thought that everyone knew how to "party" except me. Without ever consciously realizing it, I always hoped I would meet someone who would tell me how to live. It seemed like everyone else knew something that was going on except me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

While I truly state that ALL of that was interesting, and that I would encourage you to elaborate or at least add to what you have stated, one thing in particular was of interest.  this statement by you:

One night at a carnival, I was by myself when I felt this warm hand in mine.  It was a girl who was with her friend.  I bought myself a ticket to watch a wrestling match -- she must have bought one too, although I don't remember this part.  I do remember holding her hand all through the match and back outside and at some point the hand was gone.  I never knew what that girl -- nor her friend, looked like.  To this day I don't know.


Demands any details you have.  The date of time when it occured, what you were doing before, or after.  Anything in between that you left out because you felt it not important to the over-all story.  Why is this increased detail important to me?  What business is that of yours?  Just caugh over the information, buddy!

Anonymous said...

I've decided to reply to today's comments on a blog instead of on this comment page for reasons I won't divulge, no matter how much money offered, how many fingernails are pulled out or teeth drilled without benefit of Novocain.  I am a very, very, brave and noble man.  A hunk, if you will.

Cartoon in New Yorker - man and woman sitting in bar, man says, "Bond, James Bond."  Woman says, "Hell.  Go to hell." Hah!

Anonymous said...

"About twenty-five years into our marriage when we were starting to be civil to each other..." Holy COW! Is THAT how long it takes? All I needed was another nine years and it would have worked out. Hmmm.

Teresa and I fought a lot.  One day while driving home from work, in my head I was going, "I'll say this and then she'll say that and then I'll reply this and she'll come back with..."  By the time I got home, I was so angry with her...  This must have been happening a lot, but that was the first time I saw that I had actually had an argument with me being the only person involved.  This was the guy that didn't think anything was wrong with him -- that only wanted analysis in order to "learn."

Same EXACT thing happened to me ALL the time Don, I thought I was the only one!