Friday, November 12, 2010

NOT ALL OF IT IS DONE WITH MIRRORS

Blog number 439 ******** 12 November, 2010

One of the authors whom I really respect and trust once said in a book, "magic happens all around us, constantly. But we never notice it."

Whenever I mention some weirdness to my wife, she usually - always up to this morning, says, "Oh, Don. You always think you are seeing magical things in everyday happenings."

I usually think, "Well, thanks for that explanation. What a relief."

I have this small notebook where I jot down book titles I want to put on hold at the library, and notes about things I want to look up or write about. It's a six by four inch loose leaf tan colored notebook. Lift up the cover and there are twelve lines of twelve notes and book titles, all lines crossed out except for two. On the other side of that page are four lines of one word each and four lines of one book title each.

Next page, four lines of notes and seven lines of jigsaw puzzle titles with prices of each.

That's all that is written in this notebook except that if you lift up the back cover you will find six lines of one book title each on one page.

Still with me?

Yesterday I was on the computer putting books on hold at a Phoenix library and one of the ones I wanted, "Sleepwalk With Me," they didn't have. They had the CD and DVD, but no books.

So I went to the web site of the Casa Grande library and since I couldn't remember exactly what the title was, I looked in my notebook - where I had read the title just a few minutes ago for the Phoenix library. And I couldn't find it. I looked again, very carefully going through the few lines in my notebook, and it wasn't anywhere.

I began getting kinda frustrated. I had just seen the damn thing not five minutes ago and now it was gone? And it wasn't as if there were a lot of entries to plow through. Two and a half plus a half page of 4 x 6 inch pages? And over half of these crossed out as already being done with?

OK, I got to go with my backup plan. I gave the notebook to my wife and told her the problem. And she couldn't find it either! She looked again. No luck.

I took the book back from her, determined to find it, since I KNEW it was in there. I had seen it just a few minutes ago. I ran my index finger down each line like I did when I first learned to read and I still couldn't find it. We finally gave up.

This morning I'm waiting in the car for my wife to finish with her doctor's appointment and I'm reading and I come across an unfamiliar word. I want to write it down so's I can look for it when I get back to my dictionary. I flip open the first page of the notebook and there, staring me straight in the face - almost spotlighted, is the title of that book! I run into the waiting room and show it to my wife and is she as surprised as I am? I dunno. Maybe. Does it make any difference?

Ok, it's not a big thing, this magic moment, granted. But it is bigger seen than heard or read. It's one of those "you had to be there" things. I hope you were not expecting a story of teleportation or transmutation of wealth. I do not like to disappoint anyone - especially you.


*************************
This doesn't have anything to do with what I wrote above, but did any of you see that trail of flame and smoke following what the Pentagon* claimed was made by an aircraft the other day? Back to the old weather balloon and marsh gas explanations.

That thing looked exactly like a space vehicle taking off from Florida, and having lived next to a SAC base where B-52's took off every three minutes for hours every day, I can assure you it was definitely NOT a jet airplane.

Kinda reminds me of that Chick guy of Chick Publications who declares that the dinosaurs disappeared because they didn't have enough oxygen which enabled humans to run them down and kill them. Any explanation is better than no explanation, I guess.

Oh well, not my problem.

*A living person. We don't know who, but we do know it was one person - evidently an idiot.

No comments: