Wednesday, February 10, 2010

WELL IF THAT'S THE WORST THAT EVER HAPPENED

Blog number 374 **** 10 February 2009

This just happened to pop into my mind a few minutes ago.

Back when I was married to my first wife - the bad one - before I married this one - the good one, my first wife and I were separated and I was living in a small town in Iowa, managing a grocery store for a chain.

I read a lot in those days - still do, actually. I was looking through the library in that small town for a good SF book or some other interesting book when this library lady came up to me and asked if I was finding what I wanted. I mumbled something - I was scared of women in those days, so she made me nervous anyhow. She then asked me what authors I liked. I looked at the spine of one of the books on the shelf and replied, "Doubleday! He's good, isn't he?" She left me alone after that.

I was so embarrassed. I knew that Doubleday was a publisher, but at that moment my mind went blank trying to think of a name of an author. I never noticed what authors wrote any of the books I read except my favorite SF writers, of course.

Wasn't my fault.

Her fault.

No comments: