Monday, November 23, 2009

BOOoooo! HiSSSSSSSSSsss

Blog number 347 **** 23 November 2009

I found a place where one could "fly" using giant air fans to keep you in the air. The movies I saw of it made it look like one could fly fifty feet into the air. Kinda scary. Excitement scary. Great! I was so excited about going. My favorite dreams are about flying, so I had visions of having that same feeling of flying while awake. Fifty feet in the air, doing summersaults, Yay!

This morning we took a trip over to see what it was like. In the distance we could see this large white "building" which consisted of a building and shooting into the air, four white funnel-like things. We headed there.There were a lot of mobile homes, several large buildings, since they also hosted sky diving events - a drinking establishment called, "The Bent Prop," young men and women walking around shirtless (except for the females), some wearing sky diving clothes. Lots of activity, lots of people. On a weekday yet.

We stopped at a building that had signs advertising free-fall sky diving and asked directions to the indoor flying. We were shown the road to take and were told to watch out for sky divers coming down. On the road driving there, we saw a sign that said, "Watch out for canopy traffic." I told my wife, "Look at that sign." She responded, "What's canopy traffic?"

I looked up, and sure enough, it was raining men. Since we weren't in a convertible and therefore wouldn't be able to see those coming down on top of us, I thought it would probably be better if canopy traffic watched out for us.

Maybe not.

We got to the right building. I walked up the stairs, my wife walked up the ramp. Somebody was smoking in that clear desert air. It did not compute. Without thinking about it, I never expected smokers. Why, I dunno. I didn't really expect young people, although I should have, and once I would think of young people, I would have thought, "Uh oh. There's gonna be smokers."

That was the first unpleasant incident. Actually, the sight of all those bare chested youngsters reminded me of spring break at Lake Havasu that I watch on the telly. That was really the first unpleasantness I felt. People that age are nuts, especially around alcohol and mixed sexes. The Bent Prop carried new significance for me.

So we get to where the blowing fans keep the flyers in the air. I watched a "flyer" in a glass enclosed room with a trainer, lying on his back, held up by the air from the fans to a grand height of three and four feet. I asked a woman how high one could go. She said not above the glass enclosure - a height of about eight feet. It was impossible to go higher than about fifteen feet - the top of the room. Not scary at all. Not exciting at all. Boooooooring!

"What a crock," I thought.

We left.

We won't be back.

Phooey.

Phooey.

Bleh.

No comments: