Wednesday, October 28, 2009

GIMMIE AN EL

Blog number 330 **** 28 October 2009

Yesterday the lovely Teresa and I were sitting in Barnes and Nobles and this Black lady with three adorable children came by and we started talking. At one point we got to talking about Halloween decorations at houses - she thought some of them rather gross. Then she mentioned that she knows a family that has a cat that is named after the Devil. I guess we looked blank because she said, "You know. The Devil's name. I don't want to say it. It starts with an el."

I was stumped, so I got to thinking. "The Devil's name is..Beelzebub...no, doesn't start with an el...Lucifer!"And just as I thought that, she says, "You know. It rhymes with useifer"

Ah, yes. I smile at her. But I don't say that obscene name.


People are so funny!

I hypothesize she was of the Pentecostal religion because those people have a thing about the Devil's power. I think they wish he didn't exist. But then why would we need God? I dunno.


I don't think she didn't want to say the devil's name for the same reason some religious people don't want to say God's name - out of a sense of awe, but more likely something like, "If I say his name, he might think I am calling him and come to me." I know some cultures don't like you making a fuss over their children in fear of attracting Satan's attention to the children.

If I get to know her better, I'm gonna ask, you betchum.

No comments: