Wednesday, August 20, 2008

MORE ODDS THAN ENDS

Blog number 206                                                             20 August 2008

I'm reading an autobiography by Ernest Borgnine.  I like it.  He once asked Spencer Tracy if it was true that Tracy's Oscar for "Boy's Town" had been erroneously inscribed, "Dick Tracy." It was true.

Used to be a TV program that showed clips from shows that had a mess up.  I forget its name - it didn't last long.  When I was in my movie, the extras kept yelling at the director when something went wrong, and one time the star - John Ritter, didn't have his hat on like he had before and someone yelled out about that and the director said, "They can use that in, (and here he named that show I mentioned that I forget the name of.) "  The point of this is that they didn't care.  Not artists you see, just workers doing a job.

In the Borgnine book, when he was in a movie about a football player, the director, who was from Hungary, said there wasn't enough actors on the field.  They told him that in American football, there are eleven players on each side.  He said, "I don't care.  Not enough actors.  Double the number.  Nobody will notice."  So, there were forty-four football players on the field instead of twenty-two, and nobody noticed.

We bought a new coffee grinder.  $99.95.  Instead of a cutting tool, it has a grinding tool.  Lots quieter, and I can grind Turkish.  I have read about Turkish coffee and it is always described as looking like black syrup.  Yummers.

We had a Cuisinart coffee grinder. The motor quit after about two months.  Took it back, got another one, it quit also after about two months.  The salesman suggested we buy another brand.  I replied that as long as we could bring if back if it broke, I didn't mind.  He says, "Well, but if they are going to break every two months, it's like if you bought some clothes and brought them back after two months."  I couldn't get my head around that reasoning.

Usually someone like that  makes me laugh, but if I run into too much of it too soon, it kinda pisses me off.  I get tired of living in the midst of idiots.  It's like using a computer that messes up every once in a while and does something illogical.  Sometimes I just can't deal with it.

And then today a guy got behind me - I saw him move in from the left lane, and honked at me.  I got around the corner and stopped to see what his problem was, but he whizzed on by.  Could have been something, could have been nothing.  Could have been an inadvertent honk, I dunno.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know well the idiots of the world.  One day I was running a contest on the radio station I worked for.  We had 5, count 'em 5, extra record albums to give away.  So we posed a question and said that the first 5, count 'em 5, correct answers would win one of the albums.  The boos set up the contest and then went to lunch.  After a while the girl in the office came into the studio to say we had the winners.  So I announced that we had the 5, count 'em 5, winners.  Then she brought me a list of 7, count 'm 7, names in alphsabetical order.  Then she went ot lunch.

There are too many fools running too many things.

DB  

Anonymous said...

Hi again, db.  

What would we do without the laughables?  

I had a favorite saying once, "the average IQ is 100, and that ain't very high."  I said this to a friend once and he looked kinda sad and said, "My IQ is seventy something."  I said, "Oh, it doesn't really measure intelligence. You got street smarts.  

I have never said that phrase since.