Monday, September 17, 2007

HEADS I WIN, TAILS I DON'T LOSE.,

Blog number 117                                               Sep 17, 2007

When I was a freshman in High school, I used to go with a new friend during the lunch hour down to a cafe and order mashed potatoes and gravy.  Nothing else. Just mashed potatoes and gravy.  Ten cents, I think it cost.  A very cheap meal anyhow. 

My friend used to match coins with the waitress who later became my sister-in-law by marrying my older brother, for his meal. He always had to talk her into it, because she would be reluctant, saying, "Aw, I always lose."

I was surprised that he did this because neither of us had money to throw away.  In fact, that's why the mashed potatoes and gravy lunches.  It was only many years later that I realized that what was happening was that if he won, he didn't have to pay for his meal and if he lost, he paid for his meal.  Hah!

No comments: