Tuesday, July 3, 2007

SOMETHING ABOUT NOTHING

Blog number ninety-seven                                   July 03, 2007

We just finished watching the movie, "The Prairie Home Companion."  I liked it.  Which reminds me that we saw a movie last night that I had never heard of before called, "Idlewild." 

That movie was a very pleasant surprise - a Negro (Black) musical.  I didn't think I was going to like it because, well you know - the culture difference.  In fact, early on they started what seemed like it was going to be rap - and it might have been, but it evolved into a mesmerizing song and dance number.  I have never seen people dance like that.  Wow!

The camera work was very creative.  The little "side work" was very creative.  That whole movie was very creative.  I'm glad I got to see it.

This movie tonight - the Prairie Home Companion, brought back memories from my childhood - back when I was about ten years old.

We used to listen to the radio because you know - no TV?  One night we were listening to Grand Old Opry and they said that since it was their last show that night, anyone could come and get in free.  I told my dad what they said and asked if we could go - not really believing we could, but he said yes, and the whole family - Mom, Dad, Bill, Me, John, Pat and Mardene all piled in the car and went downtown and got in.

The first surprise was that the show was broadcast on this huge stage.  I expected a small stage with a microphone or two like I had seen in the movies when they portrayed a radio program.  The second surprise was when I saw a fellow classmate as one of the performers.  He played the violin.  I knew he played that thing from seeing him at school

A young teenage girl sang and people threw pennies to her.  One hit her in the eye.  She left the stage after her song, not picking up any of the pennies, but my classmate went out there, violin in one hand, picking up pennies with the other.

I could tell the girl hated the penny throwing and even at that young age, I felt something wrong about people doing that - like she was some trained monkey or seal or something.

The whole show was a special treat.

So why'd I tell this story?  I really don't know.  Doesn't seem to be a point to it, nor any instructional or educational benefit.  Just an old man running off at the mouth again.

Hell, that's justification enough, Yes?

No comments: