Monday, February 19, 2007

JUST ONE MORE MYSTERY TO TAKE WITH ME TO MY GRAVE

Blog number seventy-nine                                19 Feb. 2007

Ya know, if I was just starting High School, I would gear my career path to becoming a newspaper reporter, specifically in order to have a column that would enable me to ask people how this and that was done, or why this or that was or was not done. A curiosity satisfier column in your local daily paper, if you will.

One of my columns would be on jigsaw puzzles.  I have only recently begun to work on them again.  I stopped for many years even though I was addicted to them, because after I spent several hours on one, I would walk away with the feeling that I had wasted all that time.  Five hours and nothing accomplished.  I felt guilty.  So I stopped doing them except that every so often I couldn't resist buying a particular one that caught my eye.  Now, since I am retired and all my time is wasted, I don't have that guilty feeling any more, so the past week or so I have finished one of five hundred pieces, one of seven hundred and fifty pieces, one of a thousand pieces, and one of a thousand pieces that is shy of finishing by about eighty pieces.

What I have only recently noticed is that these pictures must be paintings.  Exquisitely detailed paintings.  And none of them are signed paintings.  Why?  Why, after spending all that time and talent and obviously love on a painting, do the artists not sign them?  And where do they come from?  Do the artists paint them specifically for jigsaw puzzles like that sheriff's husband in the movie, "Fargo" did for stamps?  Or do the jigsaw-puzzle-put-together people go around to art stores in fancy tourist places (you won't find paintings like these in any art show or art contest, lemme tell you)?  And if this is the way they get them, is one of the customs that the name be taken off?  If that is so, why?  Whose rule is that, the artist's or the picture puzzle guy's?

No comments: